So I had a day off yesterday and decided to go hiking up the very popular Flattop trail in Anchorage. I was just hiking along minding my own business when several hikers nearby noticed a woman caught trying to climb up a rocky face to the top of a hill where 3 kids were. The kids were screaming for their mother, obviously panicked, and the woman was too afraid to move either higher or lower where she was climbing. Some of the people around me went to help the mother down, and we wanted to go after the kids on top and show them the best way to get down, but they were all worked up and screaming and the 2 girls decided to try and scoot down the edge of this sharp drop. For a moment all of us watching thought this girl would just drop straight off the edge and fall, but she started to slide and tumble enough that it wasn't a straight fall to the ground. So at that point a few of us started running toward the girls trying to get them to stop before they hurt themselves more. The first girl tumbled all the way to the ground before we could get to them. Luckily she just had a bunch of bumps and bruises and her clothes were all torn up, but she looked ok. The other girl was able to stop herself about halfway down. So I climbed up and we made it down the rest of the way. I kept her from falling and eventually was able to pass her to one of the guys who had also come up to help. The 3rd kid was smart enough to stay at the top until someone could go get him. This was where it all happened:
They'd climbed up and left their mom on one of the less steep parts to the left, and then in their panic decided to try and descend at one of the steepest parts. Other than the one girl being a bit banged up and all of them being shaky from the scare they all turned out ok. I hope they learned their lesson to stay on the trail!
So other than that little bit of excitement the hike was very pretty and the weather was great. I enjoyed doing a hike by myself, but I'll like it better when I have a friend or my husband available to do it again some time!
This guy jumped off the top of flattop and was sailing overhead. I'd love to try paragliding sometime. It looks thrilling but more peaceful than skydiving.
This was my best attempt at using the auto timer so I could be in one of the pictures...
Panorama at the summit with Anchorage and the ocean in the distance

3 comments:
I'm loving the blog! It's beautiful there. I'll even forgive you for monopolizing the family name for your blog title, hahaha. :-)
I just love that you updated! It looks so beautiful there! What a scary story and way to save the day! Miss you tons!
Love that panoramic shot and we're so excited to follow your journeys!! Ryan and I thought about you last night after watching a Shakespeare play. We thought we'd probably be able to have an animated convo about the morality of the characters :)
Post a Comment